Friday, February 13, 2004

Texas Air National Guard

Regardng the controversy surronding Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard, I think the following documents pretty much clear it up:

First off, a letter from Col. William Campenni, who served in the Guard with Bush.

Next, an article in Time includes the following paragraph (clearing up an oft repeated claim against Bush):

Bush was told to report to William Turnipseed, an officer in the Montgomery unit. "Had he reported in, I would have had some recall, and I do not," Turnipseed told the Boston Globe four years ago. "If we had had a first lieutenant from Texas, I would have remembered." But by last week Turnipseed's memory had grown cloudy. "I did say in 2000 that I didn't remember seeing him," Turnipseed, now 75, told TIME. "But after I said that, I backed up and realized I didn't even remember if I was on the base in 1972 or not." Turnipseed said he was so busy checking out new airplanes outside Alabama and training, "I couldn't even follow football." He also noted that he voted for Bush in 2000 and plans to vote for the President again this year.

Lastly, in this interview Lt. Col. John "Bill" Calhoun states that Bush was indeed in Alabama serving his time in 1972. Calhoun knows because he was in Alabama too, serving along side Bush.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home